This is my blog for a photojournalism class. In this blog, I will cover details about photography, and issues that are important to our world.

Monday, April 23, 2012

Witnessing realtionships being built at the Sunshine Home!

A nurse helps a resident with special needs. Photos by Paul Murray/PHO245.

A man works hard with others to build an outdoor structure.

The horse of Sunshine Home is as friendly as can be.

A resident waves at the camera with the guidance of a staff member.
   My photojournalism class went out to Sunshine Home for a class documentary project. Sunshine Home focuses on the needs of people with developmental disabilities, so it was a sensitive subject. We had to take picture of the residents without offending them or getting straight up in their face. However, the staff was very friendly, and more than willing to help us out.
   I handled the task a lot better than my team member Sydney. I was getting relaxed and stepping out of my comfort zone, while she was on the verge of having a panic attack. It’s funny because I thought it would be the other way around. I guess I’m getting more used to working with people.
   I was also on the sound team for this project. I got to help conduct an interview. It was nice to step back from the photo editing process for a moment and apply my area of expertise to photojournalism.
   Overall, this was a useful experience, and it really helped me out when I went out to shoot my  individual documentary. I am much more confident now than I was before. I think if I can handle this sensitive task in a proper manner, then I am well-equipped to handle anything.

1 comment:

  1. Names....where are the names of these people? Names, names, names, etc. Did I mention names?

    ReplyDelete