This is my blog for a photojournalism class. In this blog, I will cover details about photography, and issues that are important to our world.

Tuesday, February 7, 2012

The First Amendment


   Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the government for a redress of grievances.
   As a photojournalism student, the First Amendment is very important to me. When I am out shooting for a project or assignment, the First Amendment protects my right to shoot in public, and it protects my rights to run a newsworthy story. Unfortunately, there will be people, such as police, who try to usurp my First Amendment rights. Part of knowing your rights are also learning when to pick your battles. Suing the police at a later date is a lot better than getting arrested for no reason!
   If somebody tries to take away your First Amendment rights, you should probably end up taking legal action against them. Our First Amendment rights are the foundation upon which our country was founded, and without freedom of speech and freedom of the press, people would be able to get away with corruption. My job as a photojournalist is to bring the corruption to people’s eyes, and the First Amendment helps me do that.

No comments:

Post a Comment